Cooking chicken thighs instant pot is a smart way to save time and make planning for the weekly meal preparations.
Whether you make snacks like chicken karaage or any main course dish, chicken thighs are always my best choice.
Chicken thighs are moister and more adaptive to flavors compared to chunky breast pieces. Children also love chicken thighs as they are tender and easy for them to chew.
When I make instant pot chicken thighs, I add a few cloves of garlic and some onion in the water for some extra flavor. Want to know more about how I prepare for and make the recipe?
Here are the things you need to know.
Things To Know About Making Chicken Thighs Instant Pot
All types of chicken thighs work for making chicken thighs instant pot. You can use all the following variations.
If you want more texture and a little crunch in your meat, always go for the with-skin variation. However, if it’s about comfort food, it’s always best to go for boneless skinless chicken thighs instant pot.
How Much Time Is Required To Get Chicken Thighs Instant Pot Ready?
The time you need to make chicken thighs instant pot will depend on the type of chicken thighs you use. Check out the table below to learn how the cooking time differs.
|Type Of Chicken Thighs||Cooking Time|
|Chicken thighs with bone and skin||Around 12-15 minutes|
|Skinless chicken thighs instant pot||10-12 minutes|
|Chicken thighs without bone and skin||8-10 minutes|
|Fresh chicken thighs frozen at home||Approximately 15 minutes|
|Frozen thighs with solutions or water (4% around)||Around 15 minutes|
|Frozen thighs in a single layer or when the frozen pieces are attached||5 minutes for separating the thighs, 10-12 minutes of pressure cooking (boneless and bone-in), and around 5-6 minutes for the release of pressure|
How Much Calorie Is There In Chicken Thighs Instant Pot?
I usually cook 6-8 pieces of chicken thighs instant pot at one go. So, I am going to share the calorie count and nutritional facts of the same.
Further, I use skinless and boneless thighs. Therefore, the calorie counts and nutritional facts can change when you use the skin-on or bone-in variations.
Let’s check out the table below.
Ingredients For Making Chicken Thighs Instant Pot
I use 6-8 boneless chicken thighs to make the recipe at home. You can go for other variations and increase the number of thighs according to your requirements.
Other ingredients you need to make are salt and pepper for seasoning, a few cloves of garlic and some onion slices for adding flavor to the chicken pieces, and two cups of water.
Be careful about the amount of water you use for the chicken thighs instant pot recipe. If you use more water unnecessarily, it will increase the cooking time.
Cooking Chicken Thighs Instant Pot
It’s time to make chicken thighs instant pot. Here is your step-by-step guide.
- First, season the chicken thighs properly with black pepper and salt. If I need them for extra spicy recipes, I use some paprika powder at this stage.
- Pour two cups of water into the instant pot.
- Next, add the onion slices or cut in halves in the instant pot. Now, place a trivet on the water in the instant pot.
- Create a single layer of chicken thighs on the trivet.
- Seal the pot, set the valve, and let the chicken thighs get pressure cooked.
- Once the pressure cooking is done, wait for around 5-6 minutes. Then, go for a natural release of the pressure. This simple trick makes the chicken thighs juicy and moist.
- Now, open the pot, strain the chicken, and keep the liquid aside.
- I add carrot slices, corn, and broccoli to the water if I have plans to use the liquid as a broth.
- While arranging the chicken thighs on the trivet, make sure that they are not overlapping too much. However, it’s okay if they are slightly attached to each other.
Chicken Isn’t Cooked Through: How To Fix It?
See, even if you have made chicken thighs instant pot a thousand times, at times, you may have undercooked or pink chicken.
Don’t worry, as I have a few quick solutions for the same, and using these tricks, you can serve your loved ones the best of family-cooked meals.
- If the chicken thighs are not cooked in the first countdown, you can put them again in the instant pot and pressure cook for around 3-4 minutes. Check how much liquid is there in the pot’s insert before setting the lid and sealing the valve. Also, don’t make it very long this time, as then the meat will get separated from the bone, or the thighs will become shredded.
- Another great thing to avoid this problem of undercooked chicken is searing the thighs for ¾ minutes in the instant pot for around 4 minutes. One tablespoon of oil will be enough if you take around 6-8 chicken thighs. Sear the chicken pieces on a high flame in the instant pot for a nice brown color and texture.
How To Make Frozen Chicken Thighs Instant Pot?
The process of cooking frozen chicken thighs in the instant pot is very similar to how you cook the chicken thighs at room temperature.
However, you need to devote some extra effort while cooking the frozen chicken thighs. Especially if you have frozen chicken thighs attached to each other, they need at least 5-6 minutes of pressure cooking at first to get the thighs separated.
Once the thighs are separated, you can follow the cooking process I have already shared. Otherwise, you can check out any recipe videos like this one.
One Delicious Recipe With Chicken Thighs Instant Pot
I could not help sharing one delicious recipe of chicken thighs cooked in an instant pot with rice.
- Add two teaspoons of butter to the instant pot. Let it melt, and then add sliced onion and shredded garlic cloves.
- Saute the ingredients for one or two minutes, and then add the seasoned chicken thighs. Cook the thighs until they have golden brown marks on them.
- Now, take the chicken thighs out and add the chicken broth kept separately to the instant pot. It is essential for deglazing.
- Once the broth has come to a boil, add washed rice in the broth and wait for two to three minutes.
- Finally, add the brown chicken thighs and let the rice and chicken pieces get cooked in the broth for around 10 minutes. I add oregano at this stage. However, you can add any herbs of your choice for flavoring.
Once the instant pot countdown of 10 minutes is over, go for a quick release. Don’t go for a natural release for this recipe, as the rice can get overcooked or sticky.
That’s it! You now have all the important ideas about making chicken thighs instant pot.
Follow the steps accurately to get perfectly cooked chicken on the plate. You can also experiment with various recipes using the chicken thighs.
So, from delicious BBQ chicken to baked chicken thighs, it’s time to make and have the juiciest chicken delicacy ever.